Monday, September 7, 2015

And the Winner of 2015's Best Fantasy Football Draft Is ...


Welcome to the 8th installment of the Madison Fantasy Football League! We've had some good years and some bad ones, but most importantly we've had a lot of fun and I want to continue running a league that everyone enjoys being a part of.

As a tradition, I've picked the team who had the best draft each and every year. I once had a stretch where I picked either the champion or the runner-up four years in a row. I haven't been so lucky over the past couple of years, but here's another shot at it.

For a peak in to how I picked the winners this year, I took my personal draft list (secret rankings) and rated all 13 fantasy teams (excluding mine) to see which teams drafted most of the players I really liked in my top 75 this year. Here were the three best teams and why I chose them:

3.) Tom Albrecht (Pending Name Change)

Specifics: 3 Players in my Top 50 (RB LeSean McCoy, RB Mark Ingram & WR Golden Tate)

Team Talk: I'll be honest and state that during the draft I thought Tom was crazy for picking McCoy so high, but after looking at it a little more, I don't necessarily have a problem with it because I think he will have a big year in Rex Ryan's new Buffalo offense. I think both McCoy and Ingram are both on downward trending teams, but they will be the workhorses on bad teams. My favorite pick of Tom's was Golden Tate who I think can challenge Calvin Johnson for being the most productive fantasy player on the Lions (he'll benefit from Johnson's double-teams and sometimes triple-teams).

Randomness: Why is Tom holding a fish? Because that's what Tom does!

2.) Goin' Get Got (Dustin Anderson)

Specifics: 5 Players my top 75 (WR Antonio Brown, WR Jarvis Landry, RB Doug Martin, WR Victor Cruz, RB Ameer Abdullah)

Team Talk: Dustin went for the depth award and grabbed the most players that I really liked in my top 75 outside of myself of course. He has Antonio Brown and Jarvis Landry who I think could be on his way to being the new Antonio Brown. He also snagged Doug Martin and Victor Cruz who I think people are discounting way too far this year. Dustin knows his fantasy football and that's why I know he'll make a push at the playoffs this year. He nearly won the best draft award, but he like everyone else in the league doesn't have what the next team has.

Randomness: Dustin takes pride in his extensive bobblehead collection.

1.) Team Lowenberg (Nick Lowenberg)

Specifics: 3 Players in my Top 50 including TWO TOP 10 PLAYERS (WR Dez Bryant, WR Odell Beckham, TE Greg Olson)

Team Talk: When you're in a 14 team league and you can manage to get two elite players, you're doing something right. For some reason, Lowenberg always seems to get the best group of wide receivers ever. Not only did he grab Dez and ODB, he grabbed Greg Olson who is basically the Panthers only receiver at this point. I also think Lowenberg is getting helped out by Arian Foster's magical groin that is somehow healing at a unexplained pace. While looking at his team, it makes me think he's using some of those actuarial skills to derive value out of each and every round. Good job Nick on drafting the best team of 2015.

Randomness: Nick was once bold enough to grab the behind of a female boss and still kept his job.

Good luck to everyone and please let me know if you have any questions!


No comments:

Post a Comment