Friday, August 17, 2012

And the Winner of the Best Draft 2012 is ...

Sure, you could skip down to the bottom of the page and forget about the rest of the article, but what fun is that? In order to perk the interest of the fantasy league, I took some time out of my busy schedule (like three hours) to analyze each and every team while picking out their best pick and their worst pick. All picks and analysis is based on my personal opinion, so please disagree and argue with me. Just remember that my "Best Draft" choice has went on the win the championship two out of the four years (Kari in 2009 and Rory in 2011)!

Here's a full transcript of the entire 2012 Fantasy Draft.

*There's no meaning to the order that I talk about each team, I've only determined the best draft, no complete rankings.

My Savior Brady (Nick Grays)

Best Pick: QB Tom Brady (1st round/5th overall)

Worst Pick: WR Nate Washington (8th round/108th overall)

Analysis: Not going to say a lot here because it's fairly obvious, I love my team. A very odd year as this is the first year I didn't draft a Packers player and I went with Brady who many of you know I despise. With Aaron Rodgers going number one overall, I knew I wanted Brady because they are the two safest bets in the game of fantasy. I think my team has a tremendous amount of balance with massive amounts of upside. The reason I think the Washington pick is my worst is because the Tennessee quarterback battle is getting kind of ugly and Kenny Britt appears to be poised for a comeback.

Not So Serious Projection: Championship Contender (What do you want me to say?)

Team Merrill (Seth Merrill)

Best Pick: WR Eric Decker (6th round/77th overall)

Worst Pick: RB Adrian Peterson (2nd round/21st overall)

Analysis: I don't want to be too hard on Seth because he was the unlucky soul who had to endure the heartbreaking Jamaal Charles injury so early in the season in 2011. And that is why I think he couldn't have been more safe with QB Drew Brees in the first round. However, I'm not on board with his second and third round picks. Picking the usual dominant AP in the second round may look like a deal, but I'm not ready to trust a guy coming off a knee that couldn't have been more torn up late in the season. Additionally, Frank Gore is getting older and part of a crowded/talented backfield in San Fran. I love the Decker pick in the 6th round because he has a legitimate chance at being Peyton Manning's number one guy in Denver. Seth will need Decker to be a number one receiver because he has some serious questions at the bread-and-butter positions (RB/WR).

Not So Serious Projection: Need Some Luck to Make the Playoffs and I'm not talking Andrew Luck

Rymaszewski's Rebels (Johnny Rymaszewski)

Best Pick: RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis (4th round/54th overall)

Worst Pick: QB Eli Manning (3rd round/31st overall)

Analysis: This is technically Johnny's expansion season in the fantasy league and the guy received a gift with the third overall pick in the draft. I'm sure he couldn't have been happier receiving Foster (many people's de facto No.1 guy) at the third spot. I love Johnny's balance as he owns the Bengals two best fantasy options in A.J. Green and The Law Firm, but it was one move which took him out of the running for the best draft. Taking Manning in the third round was a huge mistake in my opinion because he could have had another RB/WR or TE which would have solidified a great starting line-up. Instead he has an alright signal caller (overachieved last season) with a bad back-up (not buying Andy Dalton).

Not So Serious Projection: Borderline Playoff Team

The Hellmuthinators (Rory Linton)

Best Pick: RB Donald Brown (6th round/84th overall)

Worst Pick: RB Beanie Wells (5th round/57th overall)

Analysis: The reigning champion and winner of "Best Draft," in 2011 had another successful August, but it wasn't the best. It all started with what I've tagged the Foster Fakeout when he bypassed the Texans Foster to pick Aaron Rodgers. I love Rodgers, but you would have to think it's going to be tough to duplicate what he did last season. Then his fifth round pick of Wells really did it in for me as one of my friends put it once, "this guy has scissors for hands." Plus, teammate Ryan Williams looks really good this preseason and is sure to take at least half of the carries away from Wells. With that said, Rory hit a home-run with his sixth round pick. Whenever you can get a for sure starting running back (no other backs even close in Indy) at 84th overall, you're doing alright. I think Rory has a solid set of wide-outs, but could realistically struggle at the running back position this year. I'm sure he'll get better though because Rory is the best waiver-wire player in our league in my opinion.

Not So Serious Projection: Playoffs as usual

Team Szombatfalvy (Mike Szombatfalvy)

Best Pick: RB Darren McFadden (2nd round/22nd overall)

Worst Pick: 49ers D/ST (7th round/91st overall)

Analysis: At first glance, I thought Mike had one of the best team's in the league until I saw his bench. His starting line-up can stand up against anyone, but when bye weeks/injuries hit, Szombat is going to have a problem. He reached a little bit for quarterback with Matthew Stafford in the first round, but not a big deal because Calvin Johnson makes him elite and I really like the Titus Young pick for double points. When Austin Collie is by far the best player on your bench, it means you're going to have to hit the waiver wire hard. Instead of picking the 49ers Defense in the seventh round, this team could have been so much better with added depth.

Not So Serious Projection: No Playoffs this Year, but this won't be the worst team.

Quit Sinnin (Joe Selbo)

Best Pick: RB Chris Johnson (1st round/10th overall)

Worst Pick: RB Felix Jones (7th round/94th overall)

Analysis: Joe went heavy for the Steelers with high-picks of Big Ben and Mike Wallace, something I probably wouldn't do, but not the end of the world. I think they both will have solid seasons, but probably not for what he spent for them. Chris Johnson or C-Check as I call him (it's what his autograph looks like) was a steal at the tenth spot. Everyone acts like the guy was dead last year, but he still surpassed 1,000 yards after holding out during a lock-out season. C-Check will be back, but Joe is plagued with what Mike (see above) has, no bench. As of now, Felix Jones is starting in his line-up and that won't be good considering the guy loves to get hurt and underwhelms most of the time.

Not So Serious Projection: He'll score big some weeks, but score low more often. (No Playoffs)

Kari-Tron (Kari Klitzman)

Best Pick: QB Michael Vick (3rd round/34th overall)

Worst Pick: RB Roy Helu (4th round/51st overall)

Analysis: The season hasn't even started and I'm ready to give Kari an award and that's for "Best Fantasy Name." It's fitting that this team be Kari-Tron because Calvin Johnson (aka Megatron) is an absolute beast, I would never bet against that guy. Kari backed up that with an unbelievable value/high upside pick of Vick (Matthew Berry wanted this guy to go No. 1 in 2011). I would be the first person to tell you all about the injury risk, but Kari swooped up Jay Cutler in the the seventh round to be relatively safe at the position. Murray projects to be a solid No. 1 RB, so drafting Helu isn't the end of the world, but she has to be crossing her fingers when it comes to a Redskins rushing game (good that she drafted Evan Royster). I think this could be one of the most consistent teams on the year.

Not So Serious Projection: Borderline Playoff Team, won't dominate or be dominated.

Gronk If You're Horny (Chad Breiby)

Best Pick: QB Peyton Manning (4th round/43rd overall)

Worst Pick: RB Jahvid Best (7th round/98th overall)

Analysis: I'll start off by saying I love this name as well. Chad maneuvered his way back into the league (via Tim's spot) and now has chip on his shoulder to succeed in a super deep league. Overall, I think Chad did the best he could with the final pick in the draft, he has some good depth, but some holes as well. Love the pick of Manning in the fourth round because all signs look great so far in the preseason, he's more than smart enough to catch on to a new offense and has some weapons around him. A pick that really hurt Chad was Jahvid Best who's been cursed with concussions for the past two seasons and is most likely opening the season on the PUP list, meaning he won't be eligible to play until at least week 7. He has Matt Forte, but after that is stretched thin, his only hope may be to pray for Maurice Jones-Drew to hold out, so he can get maximized value out of Rashad Jennings.


Not So Serious Projection: Could Go Either Way, really needs some backs.

Team Lee (Isaac Lee)

Best Pick: WR Brandon Marshall (3rd round/30th overall)

Worst Pick: Bears D/ST (11th round/142nd overall)

Analysis: Similar to Kari's team, I think Isaac has built a consistent line-up that could surprise a lot of people this season. Outside of stud running back Ray Rice, no one on the team jumps out at you, but it's made of players who project to be solid contributors. I love Marshall in the third round because he's always been good and he's re-united with his best friend in Jay Cutler in an offense he knows. I'm not sure if this was auto-draft, but picking the Bears D/ST a round after selecting the Eagles D/ST was a killer because the QB position could be a question mark for Isaac. His starter Matt Schaub is returning from a serious injury and his back-up Jake Locker might not even start. As we've seen in past seasons, pretty much every championship contender in fantasy needs a solid QB. I believe he's stacked at the bread-and-butter positions (RB/WR), so a trade could be a serious possibility at some point in the season.

Not So Serious Projection: Borderline Playoff Team, banking on Schaub/Locker to come through is scary.

Arthur's Arsenal (Robert Trader)

Best Pick: RB Kevin Smith (10th round/128th overall)

Worst Pick: RB Cedric Benson (5th round/69th overall)

Analysis: I can tell Robert did some research because he did a heck-of-a-job at picking up value after going wide-out/wide-out (Roddy White and Greg Jennings) to open the draft. Love the pick of Kevin Smith in the tenth round which results from ESPN not updating it's rankings enough (should have been much higher), but absolutely hate the Benson pick because it was way too early. Yes, we're in Wisconsin, but you could still have had him in the seventh or eighth round. Not only is it a huge question mark whether Benson can catch on to the offense, he's a horrible pass-blocker, something Green Bay is in dire need of right now with a bad offensive line. Other than that, he's solid at QB with Romo and has an elite-esque TE in Witten. For me, this is a team that could be good or bad, we'll have to see.

Not So Serious Projection: I'll side with mediocrity, misses the Playoffs.

Team Lowenberg (Nick Lowenberg)

Best Pick: RB Trent Richardson (3rd round/39th overall)

Worst Pick: QB Alex Smith (9th round/123rd overall)

Analysis: In all seriousness, I'm not going to talk much about the Panthers running game in it's entirety (hint hint), but I only hope Lowenberg has a creative name in the mix. Even with the three Panther running backs, Nick has a solid mix of starting running backs in Willis McGahee and a pick I love in Trent Richardson. Richardson is a steal in the third round considering the Browns will be doing a lot of running and he's their main guy. Newton will be great, but it's the WR position that has me a little worried in Lowenberg's camp. Outside of a stout Fitzgerald and Floyd who will be okay, Nick needs some help. With a mess of a draft that resulted in some auto-drafting, it's really not that bad.

Not So Serious Projection: Playoff team if he can find some consistent wide-outs.

Team Grande (Anthony Grande)

Best Pick: WR Stevie Johnson (5th round/68th overall)

Worst Pick: RB Marshawn Lynch (2nd round/17th overall)

Analysis: If only Anthony could have returned home a little sooner to stop the computer from drafting Mr. Skittles (aka Marshawn Lynch) who's possibly looking at a suspension at some point this season. Following the auto-picks, Grande did a great job of finding guys who have great upside and all-around skills. If this was a ppr league, I think Grande would have won best draft. I love the pick of Stevie Johnson in the fifth round who has the ability to be a top-ten wideout and Matt Ryan who's a better fantasy option than given credit for. I like his versatile running backs in Fred Jackson and Darren Sproles. His bench is one of the better staffs in the league. I'm not sure he'll take the league by storm, but he won't have a down year like he did last year.


Not So Serious Projection: Will contend deep into the season, but ultimately miss out on the Playoffs.

The Holdouts (Jason Szmanda)

Best Pick: TE Jimmy Graham (2nd round/20th overall)

Worst Pick: QB Robert Griffin III (6th round/76th overall)

Analysis: Jason has to be pretty nervous considering his season pretty much hinges on Maurice Jones-Drew getting on the field (thus the team name). Ultimately, I think MJD gets on the field and actually plays well because that's what the little man does. Jason will most likely need one more running back just in case (would have really liked to see Rashad Jennings handcuffed), but Ryan Williams and Steven Ridley should be alright options. Taking RGIII in the sixth round is a bit of a reach and a lot of risk in my opinion. First of all, this guy is not Cam Newton (half his size) and he's a rookie QB (so much mystery, remember that Newton was last fantasy player drafted last year). While Griffin ran a lot at Baylor, he won't be doing much of it in Washington. With that said, I think he will be a solid player, but not good enough to lead a fantasy team to the championship. Picking Josh Freeman as a Plan B option was necessary and could help save Jason's season.

Not So Serious Projection: No Holdout will make Playoffs a realistic possibility.

AND THE WINNER IS ....

Team McCarthy (Matt McCarthy)

Best Pick: WR Reggie Wayne (8th Round/109th overall)

Worst Pick: RB Michael Turner (3rd Round/33rd overall)

Analysis: Outside of the solid choice of LeSean McCoy in the first round, this team is full of value. Getting former teammates Pierre Garcon (now in Washington) and Reggie Wayne in the seventh and eighth round were things of beauty. I expect both guys to have a large return on the investment. More importantly, Matt got a solid quarterback in Philip Rivers to head his team and added Wes Welker and Vincent Jackson to form an unsexy but scary receiving corps. McCarthy must love the thunder thighs because he chases Turner each and every season. In the past,  I wouldn't have said much, but I have a feeling this is the year things change in Atlanta. However, I also don't think he'll be a bust, thus why I think Matt has the most likely team to take it all.

Not So Serious Projection: Championship Winner (I hope not because it would be his second)

There you have it, here's my "Not So Serious," projections of the fantasy playoffs:

Six Playoff Teams
Nick Grays (Bye Week)
Matt McCarthy (Bye Week)
Rory Linton
Johnny Rymaszewski
Nick Lowenberg
Kari Klitzman

Championship Game
Matt McCarthy defeats Nick Grays 101-97

What did you think of the in-depth analysis of our draft? Please let me know by commenting below!

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited about what RGIII could do, but I definitely saw the need for some insurance there. After taking Big Ben too high last year, I decided to take some focus away from the QB position, and bolster my WR, RB, and TE positions. I think Nelson, Meachem, and Colston shouldn't go without mention. And thanks for not picking on me about the D/ST squads... They score points too, guys!

    I'll remember the post-season prediction snub, and work to prove all my many haters that I've still got another good year in me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Nelson, Meachem and Colston will be good, but nothing spectacular. I love RGIII in dynasty leagues because the guy is super smart and will eventually be a good QB IMO.

    ReplyDelete